Sunday, March 9, 2008

Snowed in, day two: more Dark Days meals!

Yup, it's easy to eat locally when you're at a level 2 snow emergency. I didn't manage to take pictures today, as we were busy with shoveling. Okay, so I couldn't do much of the shoveling, but I tried! It warmed up today so the snow was all heavy and wet, and having a cold/asthma/out-of-joint collarbone is not conducive to shoveling.
No snow blower here at Green Leanings!

We only had two meals today (unless you count the time spent with a pint of Jeni's Pear Riesling Sorbet as a meal) because of late sleeping/the time change/sheer exhaustion from trying to manually clear 20.4 inches of snow from the driveway.

Brunch was the aforementioned peppered bacon (Blue's Creek) and eggs (Raven Rock) with toast (I forget who made the bread, but it was from a Farmer's Market last month.) Eggs cooked in bacon fat are the best thing EVER. Well, aside from the bacon itself. We are big fans of bacon here.

Dinner involved more pork because it was the quickest thing to defrost (it didn't feel like dinner time, what with the extra daylight, so I had to cook at the last minute.) I warmed up some cottage ham from Blue's Creek with honey from Gypsy Bees; with it I served colcannon (red potatoes, leeks, and green cabbage with butter and milk), corn (with butter), and green beans (with shallots, olive oil, and lemon.) Non-local foods were the salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil (I was a little tired of drenching everything with butter!)

I confess that I was tempted to get pizza for dinner, but it seemed silly to risk the roads without a pressing reason. I'll be out of town for much of the next week, so there won't be much in the way of local meal reports.

No comments: