Sunday, September 28, 2008

October Eat Local Challenge


It's almost time for the Eat Local Challenge! This is my second time participating, and I'm quite looking forward to it. We're a month later this year, so I'm interested to see how that impacts my food choices.

Here is my statement of participation:

1. What is your definition of local?
I'm going to go with the 100-mile radius. At this point in my adventures as a locavore (one and one-half years) I am pretty well set with suppliers, and they are all within that radius.

2. What exemptions will you claim?
-The usual suspects: tea, sugar, salt and pepper, spices, oil
-The (very) occasional pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks (I don't think I can make it through October without them!)
-Any condiment/seasoning in my refrigerator
-Bread that is not made with entirely local ingredients, but comes from local bakers or bakeries.
-yogurt for cultures (just enough to make my own with local milk)

3. What is your goal for the month?
I want to learn to make things that I normally rely on local producers to obtain, most notably pasta and bread. I am in possession of a bag of local wheat flour, and I plan to use it! My oven is too dubious for loaf bread, but I plan to try some flat breads and maybe bread machine recipes. I'd also like to come up with more inventive meals, and limit the meat-veggie-starch type of offering.

3 comments:

Jennifer Maiser said...

Isn't it amazing how much easier eating locally gets as you go along? I have some local wheat flour too and am looking forward to trying it this month. Glad you're taking the challenge!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your challenge. I look forward to seeing how it goes. How about coffee from Stauf's instead of starbucks - at least it is roasted locally. Hope to meet you at the north market sometime. how was the cooking class?

Anonymous said...

Ooo I forgot to say - I have two jars of marmite coming in the post tomorrow- so you are definitely going to have to come and try some -- maybe a post yoga breakfast?