Monday, July 21, 2008

Great article on yoghurt

I'm not sure why I spell yoghurt like I do, if I picked it up from British English or it's just the way that I say it. It makes sense to me, even though my spell checker hates it.

Anyway, anyone with any type of interest in yoghurt should hie themselves over to the Saudi Aramco World web page to read the wonderful article entitled Of Yogurt and Yörüks. Yörüks are a nomadic Turkish people. It is a nice look at how yoghurt is made, as well as different types of yoghurt products (including butter and cheese and drinks.) It makes me want to whip up a batch of yoghurt before I head back to Brushwood. I really don't have time for that, but the idea is tempting. I may stop by the local Middle Eastern grocery store and pick up a container of labna (oh, if only it was organic/hormone free!)

I have a subscription to Saudi Aramco World and it is a really fantastic and totally free magazine. There aren't always articles on food, but it is a great source for information on the Muslim world, both modern and historical, as well as related museum exhibits throughout the world.

No comments: