Thursday, June 18, 2009

One Local Summer - Week 3



This week's meal celebrated our CSA pickup, with braised greens and roasted hakurei turnips from Wayward Seed Farm. The protein for the meal was a chicken breast from Speckled Hen farm, pan-fried and served with a pan sauce (the best part of pan-frying) that was full of winter savory (a truly wonderful herb, like a very mellow rosemary.) The "dessert" was a bowl of fresh shelling peas, gently cooked then tossed with butter and tarragon. Delicious!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hakurei turnips! This is the first season I've tasted them and they are amazing. Just amazing. I visited my CSA farm a couple weeks ago and the farmer took me through the fields to see how everything was doing. He picked some hakureis for me and I ate them straight from the ground and promptly fell in love. Do they roast like regular turnips, or go more like radishes?

Anne said...

I haven't tried roasted radishes yet - how do they turn out? I know I will be needing new ideas for all these radishes!

The hakurei are very sweet when roasted, and they can get quite soft. I think they are the perfect "entry level" turnip for people who think they don't like turnips! A few of our farmers had a fall crop of them last year, as well as a spring one.