Sunday, December 20, 2009

Dark Days Challenge week 5 - good old spaghetti and meatballs



Spaghetti and meatballs are on our rotation of winter meals here Chez Green Leanings. I've even made peace with the fact that the meatballs are never really round, unlike the ones I remember from my childhood. But lopsided or not, these are darn tasty!

The meal included fresh linguine from our favorite pasta shop (Pastaria in the North Market) along with homemade meatballs made with grass-fed beef and marinara sauce from the freezer. I topped the meatballs with fresh mozzarella (also from Pastaria) and served it with focaccia bread from one of the new winter market vendors, Black Cat Bakery from Pataskala, Ohio. I could eat that focaccia bread all day, every day!

The meatballs contained ground beef, fresh baby spinach, garlic and onion, an egg, herbs, and enough bread crumbs to make it all stick together. This batch of marinara sauce contained tomato skin and seeds, and I don't think I'm sold on it. I definitely prefer the more labor-intensive version that involves peeling and seeding the tomatoes.

Non-local ingredients were salt, pepper, and bread crumbs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple and easy is often the tastiest! Sounds like you have great local vendors there... I miss focaccia bread. The skin/seed vs. strained sauce is a big debate in my home - I go with the thicker skin-in version, and others want that smooth, liquidier method.... I don't know if my preference is taste, or an impatience with the time it takes to strain :-)

Joanne said...

I just discovered your site. Your
meat balls and spaghetti caught
my eye...two words "simply
scrumptious!"

I will be checking back!