Friday, June 13, 2008

The most beautiful lettuce ever



I picked this up Wednesday at the Westerville market. The girl said the variety was red sails, but I think it might be red frills (or so says my google image search.) When I caught sight of it I said, "I don't know what it is but I want it!" Something that colorful has to be good for you, right? :-)

We were going to have it for a dinner salad tonight, but I ran out of steam. Dinner ended up being short ribs (braised in soy sauce, scallions, cilantro, sesame seeds, rice wine vinegar, and lime juice) over lime-cilantro rice (hey, at least the cilantro was local!) with mixed braising greens with garlic, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. The greens were quite bitter, so I was sad that it is not the time for leeks (leeks are an instant sweetener for bitter greens! It's almost magical.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Lollo Rossa?

It's a beautiful red Italian frilly leave lettuce. But, as it's July now (and I have eaten mots of my lettuce and it's a little hot for lettuce to grow well in the Northern Piedmont,) I can't run out to the garden to compare "leaf-to-leaf".